10 Best Mold Prevention Tips From the Mold Removal Specialists
Exposure to mold can cause various health problems ranging from minor irritations to allergic reactions and even serious lung infections. Mold thrives in moist areas. Therefore, to prevent mold growth in your home, you must control moisture levels. Check out this list of mold prevention tips:
- 1. Repair leaks in the walls, roof, gutters and plumbing pipes as soon as you can to reduce moisture. Inspect ceilings and walls for water stains.
- 2. Keep indoor humidity at 30-50% by using a dehumidifier, air conditioner or by opening windows and doors. Check the humidity levels at least twice a day.
- 3. Prevent condensation in your home by reducing humidity and adjusting the thermostat.
- 4. Ventilate appliances that generate moisture (cooking stove, shower, dryer, etc.) using exhaust fans.
- 5. Have your HVAC system inspected annually by a certified professional. Make sure your HVAC drip pans are clean and flow properly.
- 6. After a flood, all wet areas in your home must be cleaned and dried within 48-72 hours by a professional water damage specialist.
- 7. Prevent mold growth on indoor plant soil by adding a small quantity of Taheebo tea to the water you give to the plants.
- 8. Use mold-resistant paint, drywall and sheetrock to prevent moisture absorption in your walls.
- 9. Slope the ground surrounding your home away from the house foundation to keep water at bay. Provide drainage to direct water away from your home.
- 10. Clean gutters. Assure water flow from downspouts is directed away from foundation.