The 10 Best Ways to Clean with Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is a non-toxic substance that can be used in cooking, medicine, personal care, and, of course – cleaning. You can find a myriad of uses for baking soda as a cleaning agent, so we collected for you the best tips for cleaning or deodorizing your home:
- 1. Deodorize sink drains and prevent clogging – pour ½ cup of baking soda down the drain and let it sit for 1 hour. Then, pour ½ cup of vinegar, wait 5 minutes and rinse with hot water.
- 2. Remove coffee or tea stains from your carpet – add a bit of baking soda and a little water on the stain. Wait a few minutes, and then wipe it off with a soft cloth or sponge.
- 3. Deodorize the carpet – sprinkle baking soda over your carpet, leave it on for a few minutes, and then vacuum. Repeat the process if needed.
- 4. Deodorize the litter box – sprinkle baking soda in the litter box every time you change the cat litter. It will help neutralize the odor.
- 5. Clean the grout – make a paste with half water, half baking soda and apply the paste to the grout. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes (or 2 hours for very dirty grout), then spray the grout with water. Finally, scrub, rinse and let it dry.
- 6. Boost laundry cleaning – add ½ cup of baking soda to the usual amount of liquid laundry detergent for one wash. Baking soda helps brighten and deodorize clothing.
- 7. Remove odors from fridge – keep an open box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb strong food smells efficiently.
- 8. Clean greasy ovens – mix 5 tablespoons of baking soda, 4 tablespoons of white vinegar and 5 drops of liquid detergent. Spread the mixture over your oven and let it sit for 15 or more minutes. Use a sponge to scrub the grease away.
- 9. Put out grease fires – quickly pour baking soda on a grease fire to safely extinguish it.
- 10. Clean silverware – make a paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water. Spread the paste over the silverware, wait a few minutes, then rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cloth.
More information about removing household odors can be found here and tips for keeping indoor air fresh are available in this article. For professional fire, water and mold restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.